Limited Library Opening starting November 11th, 2020
Starting November 11th, 2020, two time slots for library use will be offered daily from 9am to 12pm and 1pm to 4pm on Mondays to Fridays. To register for a work space in one of these time slots, we offer a booking platform on ILIAS, which can be accessed here: Library of the Institutes of Linguistics and Literary Studies - Booking platform for presence use
The use of the library and its reference collection is, of course, bound to Covid-19 regulations that must be observed.
Basic rules for booking and using workstations in the institute library:
Bookings for working spaces are only valid for the respective person. You may not book for or pass on a booked working space to others.
By reserving a time window for a working space in the library of the Institutes of Linguistics and Literary Studies on ILIAS you consent to the "Declaration of the lack of suspicion of an infection with the corona virus when using the library of the Institutes of Linguistics and Literary Studies of the University of Stuttgart"
We offer two bookable time slots on a daily basis (Mo-Fri) from 9am to 12pm and 1pm to 4pm. Please keep to the time slots you have booked online.
Access to the building is possible using the entrance to the 'Tiefenhörsäle'. There, the admission service will allow registered visitors to enter the building. Please bring your student ID card for admission control. General admission times to the building are from 9am to 3pm. After 3 pm you will not be allowed into the building and therefore you will not have access to the library. Access to the library is therefore only possible for registered users from 9am to 11:45am and from 1pm to 14:45pm.
During the lunch break from 12:00 - 13:00 the library must be completely cleared for cleaning and ventilation purposes.
In the building and at the designated workplaces in the library the use of a mask as well as social distancing are mandatory. Please use the marked workplaces only! The library as well as the spiral staircase and the corridors between the bookshelves may only be entered individually. Please disinfect your hands before entering the library!
The library will not provide any office supplies. Please bring and use your own notebooks, tablets, writing supplies, etc.
- As usual, bags of any kind must be locked in our lockers before entering the library. Please remember to bring a deposit coin (1 € or 2 € ) to use the lockers.
If you are unable to attend the booked time slot, please cancel your booking in time using the option "Actions" - "Reservations" on our booking portal.
Please note the users' guide on prevailing hygiene measures in the library.
Local Electronic Article Delivery Service
This service is provided exclusively to employees and enrolled students of the university of Stuttgart.
For student orders, the use of the student email-adress (email@example.com) is mandatory.
You can order complete articles, contributions in edited volumes and journals, as well as book excerpts (max. 15% of the total book) available in the library's stock.
Electronically available articles will not be delivered, as they can be accessed as full text.
Identify the bibliographic data of the desired article or book and send them via e-mail using the following form:
Course of studies:
Journal / Book title
Volume / Year of publication:
Article information (author, title, desired pages):
Call number from the library's catalogue:
The desired article/book excerpt will be delivered as an attachment to our reply email.
If your order cannot be fulfilled, you will be contacted via email.
Special Borrowing Conditions for Students
- This service is provided exclusively to enrolled students or students from partner institutions.
- A maximum of 5 books can be borrowed at a time.
- Books have to be returned within a week.
- To order please contact us via e-mail and provide the following information:
- Book number
- Title of the book
- Your Name
- Your complete adress
- Immatriculation number
- Your phone number
- We will provide the books for pickup on the subsequent day of your order.
- Pickup is generally possible from monday to friday 10am to 1pm.
- Books will be handed to you at the KII emergency exit (Groundfloor U1)
- Please call us upon arrival: 0711 / 685-83088
- You will need your student ID and valid semester stamp as a verfication.
- Please wear a mask when picking up the books.
- You can return your books monday to friday 10am to 1pm.
- For your return, please come to the KII emergency exit (Groundfloor U1)
- Please wear a mask and contact us upon arrival: 0711 / 685-83088
The following media cannot be borrowed:
- Periodicals and Journals listed in the classification group A1
- Reference works and dictionaries listed in the classification group B (except B2 and B3)
- Media that is kept under lock and key or that is part of a permanent or term apparatus
We do however providescans for the media listed above.
- Mo. - Fr.
8am - 9pm (Admission until 8:45pm)
9am - 2pm
The main emphasis of the library is on following subjects
Literary studies and linguistics in the following subject areas: American studies, English studies, German studies, Italian and French studies.
Total number of volumes: approx. 123,000
Current journals: approx. 100
Most volumes can be found on open shelves according to a specific system. Valuable prints and books over than 100 years old as well as extra large books and audiovisual material are kept secure.